Schedule an appointment now
Start the road to recovery.
With Shoulder/Arm Pain
At Professional Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine™ in Franklin MA, our doctors and clinicians are experts in determining the cause of your shoulder/arm pain and prescribing a course of treatment for pain relief and return of function.
Most Common Shoulder/Arm Complaints and Limitations:
- Pain, stiffness or weakness with reaching overhead or to the side
- Pain with lifting something heavy
- Pain or tightness with hooking your bra
- Pain or tightness with reaching into your back pocket for wallet or phone
- Pain or tightness with reaching behind your back to wash or scratch an itch
- Pain with putting on a jacket or seatbelt
Common Shoulder/Arm Pain Conditions That We Treat
- Muscle sprain or strain
- Rotator cuff tear or injury
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis)
- Impingement syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Tendon rupture
- Labral tear
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Brachial plexus injury
What Is the First Step?
Start By Scheduling an Evaluation Appointment.
Don't Wait - Get Started Right Now!
Clinical research shows that the sooner you get started with active rehabilitation, the less likely you will need unnecessary tests, medications, or surgery.
Call Us Today at (508) 794-3697
At your evaluation appointment, you will meet with a physical therapist who will perform a thorough evaluation that includes:
- A review of your health history and your specific symptoms.
- A thorough examination that includes assessing the quality and quantity of your movements, and any factors that might put you at risk for delayed recovery or might indicate a serious health problem.
- Assessment of how you use your body at work, at home, during sports, and at leisure.
- Determination of the diagnosis and impairments that are causing your pain and establishment of a treatment plan of care.
What to Expect
What Kind of Treatment Techniques Might I Receive?
Your physical therapist will develop a personalized rehabilitation program for your condition. This program can help you safely return to your desired activities. Some treatment techniques may include:
Hands-on treatments to mobilize your muscles and joints to restore and improve proper motion and strength.
Specialized manual therapy offerings at Professional Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine™ include:
- Joint mobilization and manipulation
- Soft-tissue mobilization
- Myofascial Release
- Swelling/edema massage
- IASTM- Instrument assisted soft tissue massage
- Graston Therapy
Activities aimed at improving movement of a specific joint including stretching techniques to decrease muscle tightness and help restore flexibility. There are 3 main types of range of motion (ROM) exercise: Active ROM requires very little assistance from the clinician and is done by the patient. Active-assisted ROM requires partial assistance from the clinician and is done with the patient. Passive ROM requires full assistance from the clinician and is done for the patient.
Exercises for muscle weakness or imbalance specific to your condition and capability. Sometimes referred to as strength/weight/resistance/endurance training, muscle strengthening exercises can include the use of weights, exercise bands, and body weight. The benefits of muscle strengthening include increased bone strength and muscular fitness.
Pain and Swelling Management
Treatments to reduce pain and inflammation and enhance recovery.
Specialized pain management offerings at Professional Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine™ include:
- Electrical stimulation
- Squid® Vasopneumatic Compression
- McConnell taping
- Deep Tissue Laser Therapy and Dry Needling
Includes providing information about your condition and treatment options and identifying and modifying any factors or activities causing your pain. Instructing you in home pain/swelling management and a home exercise program will help you maintain gains in motion and strength.
Therapeutic activities incorporate the use of multiple parameters such as balance, strength, coordination, and range of motion. Functional activities are designed to safely and gradually progress as you recover to allow for achievement of your functional and recreational goals.
What Our Clients Say
Although it has only been 2 weeks since I started treatment, I am very happy and impressed with the care I am receiving at Professional physical therapy. I feel Dr.Gregory Patt and his staff are very knowledgeable and focused on getting me well. It is a very friendly and comfortable environment. I feel lucky to have found them. Excellent
Although it has only been 2 weeks since I started treatment, I am very happy and impressed with the care I am receiving at Professional physical therapy. I feel Dr.Gregory Patt and his staff are very knowledgeable and focused on getting me well. It is a very friendly and comfortable environment. I feel lucky to have found them.